Own Your Beauty!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Lentil-rific

So I made my curried lentils today.  Such an easy recipe, crazy cheap, and so incredibly tasty! 

Let’s see, I used a little less than a bag of lentils so say $1 for that, a large can of crushed tomatoes so another $1 for that, 1/2 bag of brown rice so $0.50 for that, some negligible amount of spices but we will just say another $0.50 for all of the curry powder, cumin and red peppers, and a full bag of frozen spinach so another $1.25 for that.  so for around $4.25 I made 8 full servings of curried lentils with brown rice for my freezer making it just a little over $0.50 per serving.  Compare that to a $7 meal at Subway, or even a $5 meal at Panda Express…healthier, tastier, more filling, and 10% of the cost.  I would say this gets a big YES from me!

I will give as much of a recipe as I can considering I just kind of wing it as I go and you can too!

DSCN0434

Curried Lentils and Brown Rice -

  • 3 cups dried lentils
  • 2 cups dry brown rice (yield approx. 8 cups cooked)
  • 1 large (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 large bag frozen chopped spinach
  • approx. 2 Tb. curry powder (to taste)
  • approx. 1 Tb. cumin (to taste)
  • approx. 1 tsp. crushed red pepper (to taste)
  • approx. 1 tsp. salt (to taste)
  • 1/8 cup lemon juice (to taste)
  1. Cook the brown rice according to package directions and set aside
  2. Rinse the lentils and place in a large saucepan with 6-8 cups of water.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes until tender.  When fully cooked, drain.
  3. Add crushed tomatoes, spinach and seasonings into the cooked lentils.  Mix well and taste, adjusting seasonings as desired.
  4. Serve 1 cup brown rice w/ 1 cup lentil mixture. 
  5. That’s it!
  6. DSCN0438

    All packed in individual containers for my lunching ease

Seriously, is anything easier?  And I love lentils because you don’t have to soak them like you do beans.  Tons of protein, super healthy, but you don’t have to think as far in advance.  If you like other veggies than the spinach go for it, you could probably sauté up some onions and garlic to add and it would be fabulous too, but this is what I made and it is really delicious and totally vegan.

DSCN0439

Marked so I remember what it is tucked back in my freezer!

DSCN0441

Made 8 servings, 8 meals I will not have to buy from school – I think I need more tupperware!

DSCN0444

And just for fun, the loaf of bread I just pulled out of the oven.  I think it turned out as one of the nicest loaves I have made!

No comments:

Post a Comment